Monday, September 1, 2008

LOOK, its our new barn!


We are so ecstatic to have had a new barn built on our farm last week! As you can tell, the old barn sustained a good bit of storm damage! This new barn is the future home of our office, egg processing room, coolers, and small apartment for a future intern or employee. The first people to occupy the apartment however will be Chad & myself during the building of our home! We can't wait! The basic structure of the barn is complete and next we will begin on the plumbing and framing for the internal structures. Our goal is to have the barn complete in a month and a half.




We thought this picture was cool and wanted to include it on the blog. The birds heard something flying above and their natural instincts set in, compelling them to run for cover or be eaten alive! We thought it was so interesting the way they made their mass exodus from the foraging grounds.




Sunday, after the day's work was complete, Chad walked around the hen house to make sure everything looked secure and in good shape. I took this picture of him in the fence with the hens!

Lastly, I am posting a picture of the entire hen house from the service road at the farm. As you can see, there are doors aligning the sides of the house. The doors are opened and the hens have free range and access to the lush green grass around the house. The hen's do have access to a good bit of forage now, but we plan to order more netting (tomorrow!) to make this area even bigger. This will give the chicks more access to grass and insects thus producing darker yolks which are much richer and healthier for you!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing a part of your lives with us. The pictures and blogs are great.
I am very sorry to year about your loss.
See you Wednesday,
Julian

Denise C said...

I am so glad I visited your wonderful blog! I have enjoyed your milk and cheese and eggs for months now. Chad is always so pleasant. I had no idea of all the things you two have been through this year. I'm happy to see that things look like they are coming together. I look forward to seeing lots more good news each time I come back to the blog. - Denise Casey